Wednesday 10 April 2019

"O'Neill never listens to my advises as the Finance Minister and I resigned," admits Marape.



By James Marape - MP

It is with regret that I announce my resignation as Minister of State in the O'Neill Abel government. Since July 2012, I have been conferred by Prime Minister Peter O’Neill this high privilege to serve my country Papua New Guinea as Minister for Finance and Leader of Government’s Parliamentary Business, but today I resign from these occupations.


This decision is not easy to make and despite cultural and personal ties, the level of trust between Prime Minister and myself is at the lowest after his office and associates continue to send negative signals on their lack of trust on me.

Whilst we don’t have any personal differences, we do differ on some work and policy related matters; these includes policies like whether getting more local content participation in our gas, oil sector, or mining industry, or on the empowerment of our local businesses; or on resource laws reconfiguration for wealth generation for our country, or for lack of honoring existing resource projects agreements like the 4.27% of Kroton shares for 5 Provincial Governments and their Land Owners, and other issues.

I have raised my views and concerns on those areas yet I have come to realize that most of my advice find no traction and is non compatible with Prime Minister’s world view, thus it is only fitting that I exit cabinet.

I am not in cabinet for its comforts but to contribute to national development and having completed some reforms in Finance Department over the last 7 years including better expenditure control mechanism as well as setting up my signature reform in procurement laws that includes local content emphasis , I feel the time is now right for me to move out of Cabinet so that fresh minds can come into cabinet.

It will be remiss of me not to apologize to my colleagues in Parliament, family and friends, my staff and all my people of Pori Tari and Hela for surprising you all with this sudden announcement.

I thank Prime Minister O’niell for the opportunity to serve in his Cabinet and wish him all the very best as he tries to guide our country in such continual hard times, some of which are natural hard times, some are man made. With this I hereby resign as Minister of State but I look forward to serving the country as a Member of a Parliament.

No comments:

Post a Comment