Sunday 22 July 2018

"You got to be in the Govt to make your people happy, otherwise you are a waste," reckons Yoto.

By Western Governor Taboi Awi Yoto

AS indicated by the numerous Facebook post & comments, phone calls, Facebook inbox and text messages I received so far, my move to the Government has shocked/surprised many of my followers here, elites of Western Province and some political analysts.

Many questions, assumptions and speculations has been raised and spread all over Facebook on what could have been the pull factor for me to move to the government. Many elites from Western Province have demanded answers unfortunately for now I will vaguely answer it. I will answer those questions over the course of the next four years.

Now that I am on the other side of the house I am also aware that any actions/decisions will continue to be criticized. As your leader, I welcome all your criticism, the name tags and the character assignations of all sorts. I don't expect the whole world to respect or praise me for all the decisions I will be making.

Yes the decision to move was a tough one but I don't regret it. Months leading up to the day I moved, I did consulted and weight out the pros and cons. In doing so, I consulted those close to me particularly MPs on both sides of the house. I have also consulted and informed our important developments partners of the province, particularly, OTML, OTDF, PNGSDP and others.

|One reality that most of you may not see from the outside is that, politics in PNG in recent times unlike elsewhere, is UNIQUE, at times it can be HEARTLESS. It does not work like how your expect it to see it from the outside, PNG politics is an Art of its own. Thus, you have to KEEP adapting and strategically aligning yourself to the core of the business.|


 While campaigning I, told my people that I needed to be somewhere in the heart of the government business, if not then somewhere closer to it. After I won I was compelled to go to the Kokopo camp, hoping we would be able to form government and the rest is history now. While I was in the opposition the same people who demanded me to go to Kokopo camp continued to demand for their expectation to be met. Well it does not mean that I am in government now and I will be able to meet all the expectations, to say that would be UNREALISTIC.

The other factor that I'd like to inform my people is that issues discussed at the party caucus and government caucus have a higher chance of being heard and addressed by the government compared to what is said on the floor of Parliament. Whatever that happens on the floor of Parliament during question and grievance debate time, is half the time exchange of verbal missile between the Opposition and the Government as well as aggrieved MPs for political point scoring. I did not come to Parliament to waste my people's time to help score political points for myself or whoever. And most importantly I have a duty of care for the voice of Western Province from being mistaken as a political one. I am not here to advance any personal political aspirations at the expense of my people who has being marginalized for years with such egos.

I took up leadership to pursue greater interests for my province knowing very well that I can do more if I am within the core of the government business. I am not here to be a spectator but ensure WP gets the attention it DESERVES as one of the major contributor to the National Government coffers.

For instance, as you would recall, the national government in recent times took huge loans, none of it ever got spent in WP, not a single toea. However we will also contribute to repaying the loan. WHY??? That has been my first ever question in Parliament, as per the parliament hardstand record. I need to ask such questions where it can be heard and have a better chance of getting a genuine reply. Because during Parliament sittings, good questions and debates only make good headline for the mainstream media outlets to sell their news and satisfy news consumers. In worst case scenario the government could take them as political missiles. The voice of Western Province needs to be raised at the strategic forums where it can be heard and not seen as a political MISSILE. Genuine questions and debates of issues relating to WP does not need to be mistaken, It would be an opportunity miss fired.

I understand, for many of you my move was unexpected and still doubt the intention and the pull factor. I don't expect anyone to trust me but let me assure everyone here, I will do my best to represent us from within. I prefer dying fighting face to face than throwing missile at the target. Though I am going to be closer to what I call the target, don't expect miracles, as many things don't just happen over night. It's a forty years lack of development issues in our Province that I am challenged to address. In the mean time, I will need everyone's support to see the positive side of the coin. Our negativity will drive us back.

Lastly, to the critics, I will need those healthy criticism, the ones with alternatives views to keep coming. I also have time for those as I am aware that it will help realign my line of thinking and decision-making going forward.


No comments:

Post a Comment