Friday 16 September 2016

Happy 41 independence celebrations - Papua New Guinea

by MAJOR GENERAL JERRY SINGIROK (retired)

I was privileged in 1974 when completing Form 6 (Grade 12) at Sogeri Senior High School that I will enter University to read Law in 1975.

We were the cream of Form 6 guaranteed to excel after matriculation to enter the two Universities.

I had the honour to meet and be educated with some of the best. They are:

Nagora Bogan, Brown Kiki, Dahu Mathew, Gibs Salika, Tom Ur Dirona, Abe Kasi Akiro, Bunam Lakasa, Kikereng Wargem, Will Akus, Alphones Banik, Wakon Luan, Rag Gubag, Samson Aiau , Janet Tom, Margret Bagita, Nao Badu , Silas Burua, Moses Koiri, Gunip Wam, Peck Asafo, Haneman Kadeu, John Osesi, Jack Tahiti, Tokam Kanene, Nico Murray, Vagi Oala, Haraga Gabutu, Philip Kanora, Vincent Warakai, Louise Bau, Wesley Peni, Lilly Tore, Govea Menafu, Kila Ritakou Gabriel and the list is endless of "who is who" that was from my batch.

As inspiring students and the cream of would be intellects, our new government then had guaranteed places for us at Universities and had a job secure for us and we had a future already mapped out.


None of us were omitted and our future was secured. In my case I opted for a Military Career instead of reading Law and rest is history.

41 years later and as a parent I cannot guarantee my children a good education a job and a good family as there is hardly opportunities left in Papua New Guinea.

The country in the last 30 years had derailed all aspects of socio-economic development and marginalized it's own people and left the spoils of our resources to a handful and gave unimaginable access to multi million corporate organisations and made the population become beggars and spectators.

The generation after 41 years need to reflect on the past mistakes and I call it MISSED OPPORTUNITIES.

41 years is a year of maturity but we have faulted big time and there is nothing to celebrate.

Instead I pay tribute to my early peers from Asaroka Lutheran High (69-72) and our American teachers my class from Sogeri (73-74) and wish them well in their endeavors .

Today I am farming in my gardens and planting more Moringa seeds ad a means to provide for my family.

GOD BLESS THE NEW GENERATION AND UPHOLD PAPUA NEW GUINEA AND PREVENT IT FROM A MORALE AND SPIRITUAL DECAY.

THIS IS THE ONLY THING GOD HAS BLESSED US WITH. PAPUA NEW GUINEA.

Jerry Singirok

No comments:

Post a Comment